Revival of Descent?

RabidRebel

TAC Member
TAC Member
Founder
I don't know how many folks on here played Descent 1, 2 and 3 back in the 90's, but I was one of those folks. For those who didn't play, Descent set the bar for 6 degrees of freedom (DOF) first person shooters (FPS). It had some pretty epic campaign missions and the multiplayer was even better. Nothing like floating your ship on the "roof" of an asteroid chamber and hammering somebody with a "sniper round." Better yet, the adrenaline rush as you slam on afterburners while sliding through corridors avoiding the total devastation of an earth shaker bomb (massive instant-kill explosion followed by ~5 heat sinking mini-earth shakers). You could go anywhere with your little ship in a gravity-free environment full of crazy weapons, hairpin turns, and interesting places to explore. That being said, the revival of Descent seems to be underway with a lack of AAA 6DOF FPS games on the market.

Right now, there are two revivals of Descent under way. Interplay, while hanging onto life as an IP company, has given the rights for Descent to a company to produce a sequel. The sequel is called Descent: Underground (https://descendentstudios.com/) and is available via Early Access on Steam. I've actually had a chance to play the Early Access version at PAX South, and it certainly feels like the original. The game is just a lot more ambitious than the original (many player ships, mining, etc.) and has been in Early Access for a long time.

The other revival is called Overload (Link on Steam) and is now available on Steam as a final release (released on May 31, 2018). This revival is interesting because it is tied to the original crew who made the first three Descent games (albeit not with Interplay any more). The sound track is even done by the original Descent 1, 2, and 3 staff. It looks as if this game is smaller in scope and likely won't be as pretty, but the reviews are overwhelmingly positive right now. Many are describing the game as Descent 4. Looking at the videos for the release, it certainly looks like it'll be a blast. Perhaps something to keep an eye on for 6DOF PVP action.

I haven't personally dove into either game yet, but I thought I'd share what is going on in the world of Descent for those of us who remember and love the original games. It looks like it has finally come back after way too many years off the market.

Top Bottom