FTC to Investigate Loot Boxes

RabidRebel

TAC Moderator
After the ESRB failed to take up requests from legislators to look at self regulation of loot boxes, the FTC has now agreed to investigate the situation. Loot boxes are projected to be a $50 Billion industry and primarily focused on youth.

NetRngr

TAC Moderator
"That conclusion has been reached—in other words, that this game mechanic is not gambling—by the Entertainment Software Ratings Board in the US, by New Zealand's gambling authority, and by the UK's gambling authority."
I would agree except, that what is contained within is populated by a random number generator and you have the distinct possibility of obtaining multiple copies of the same item. I have absolutely no issues with loot boxes / item stores being built into the game as long as the following are at the systems core:

1. The items are cosmetic only. I even disliked BF4s Loot bags but tolerated them because they fell into the items listed below.
  2. The items once obtained dont get issued again unless it's like the BF4 boosts which are short duration.
  3. The loot boxes / items are obtainable via normal game play.
That said, Shops which remove any randomness are perfectly fine with me as long as they dont have items that offer an advantage and the items are obtainable through normal gameplay.

RabidRebel

TAC Moderator
I agree mostly with you. Although, I think some games have weaponized the in- game ability to obtain loot boxes to encourage you to buy them. For example, when you start the campaign in Fortnite, you are showered with them. Eventually they taper off and progression stalls without buying them (never did, but the tactic was obvious). Other games do this with cosmetic only systems too. You can get them at a snail's pace by playing or you can get your real fix by paying (Siege, Recon). It's like giving a suspectible kid a trial set of drugs and then waiting for them to come back addicted, willing to pay.

For me, I'm more okay with them if they are ONLY obtainable through normal game play. We should know what we are getting for real world cash.

NetRngr

TAC Moderator
I haven't really played Fortnight in a few seasons but never really had a problem racking up the points and progressing through the tree. That said I can tell that I haven't played many FPS games in a bit now. I was never one of those guys who would rack up a 3-5 KDR but usually stayed around 1 to 1.5 overall that said I haven't even looked in BF5 haha I'm sure it's abysmal.

edit
Yep .5 . I officially suck hahaha

Top Bottom