Elite Dangerous in VR

RogueSteward

TAC Member
For the past two days, I've been playing Elite Dangerous in VR. It's amazing! I am now officially spoiled. As I sit in my virtual cockpit in my Asp Explorer, I look around and see my nice captains chair. I sit down, it has a nice headrest and I get ready to take off and explorer the vast darkness. I lean back, put my head back and suddenly I realize this chair is virtual because the headrest is missing and my head goes far back! I have already had several moments like this. I can't tell you how many times I reached out to press these virtual buttons on my console or how many times I've said wow! Gaming monitors do not do justice to video games. In VR, the station looks enormous, my ship creaks and groans as I travel through space, and suddenly I feel very small in this virtual universe.

If you have an opportunity to try VR, you should!

RogueSteward

TAC Member
You're going to love it Tom. There are some issues I'm trying to work out. Maybe Dually or Logrey or someone with VR experience can chime in. When I do trading runs, I log my materials and supplies purchases on a pad and paper so I can calculate cargo space and plot my route. I would also check inventories using inara and eddb on a second monitor. Well now with the VR headset, I'm not quite sure how I'm going to do this.

TomC

TAC Member
you can see inventory on right panel inventory tab. with voice attack I say inventory and it shows me what I have and I can see how much room I have left. I believe you should be able to do that in VR

check out CMDR Malic voice attack profile he runs in VR so his setup is designed to do things with a headset on.

which headset did you get?

NetRngr

TAC Moderator
Ok damnit I'll buy this tomorrow haha. You bastards are seriously cutting into my practice time what with these games and your enjoyment of them making me wanna play and whatnot. Pretty soon were gonna have to start scheduling nights to play a set game on that night haha

RogueSteward

TAC Member
I found a program called OVRdrop, , and it has allowed me to place a monitor screen inside my cockpit. There are some glitches that I'm trying to work on. It has introduced a little bit of stutter at times in gameplay which I have mostly remedied by turning down the FPS of OVRdrop, also there is a mouse focus issue that I'm trying to work on too. It's all a setup issue however because I have that pretty much fixed as well. I had an issue where OVRdrop captured my mouse input during a warp jump and I nearly crashed into a star because I lost all controls. Fortunately, I recovered my controls and saved my ship! I fixed this issue by moving the OVRdrop input perimeter to another spot. It is neat to see eddb.io and inara.cz as well as notepad floating in my cockpit like my other holo-panels. I was watching Gator live stream Star Citizen last night while I was playing Elite and flying to Eravate.

RogueSteward

TAC Member
Ok damnit I'll buy this tomorrow haha. You bastards are seriously cutting into my practice time what with these games and your enjoyment of them making me wanna play and whatnot. Pretty soon were gonna have to start scheduling nights to play a set game on that night haha
Awesome man! We'll have to get a wing going and take you out to a combat zone to get you started with some credits. It's kind of a hard to begin this game because a new pilot has just so few credits to start with, and if your ship blows up and you're broke, you will have lost EVERYTHING. There were a couple times I nearly lost everything I owned because I went out with no money to repurchase my ship because I was just simply broke and loaded up with cargo, THAT I PURCHASED, for some space station and I accidentally flew too close to a star and barely escaped. I nearly lost my ship with all that cargo and had no credits left in the bank because I was taking a risk because I had no money. whew It almost seems like this game knows when you've got everything on the line and it makes things extra hard at that moment.

NetRngr

TAC Moderator
I was going on the assumption that if I got into a "I'm broke" situation I would turn to selling my body in the slums. I am a sexy bitch you know haha.

The one game I'm really waiting for with baited breath is Cyberpunk if for no other reason they have one of the head writers for Steve Jackson games on the payroll. The pen and paper version of that game was amazing. I really want them to knock this one outta the park.

RogueSteward

TAC Member
I was going on the assumption that if I got into a "I'm broke" situation I would turn to selling my body in the slums. I am a sexy bitch you know haha.

The one game I'm really waiting for with baited breath is Cyberpunk if for no other reason they have one of the head writers for Steve Jackson games on the payroll. The pen and paper version of that game was amazing. I really want them to knock this one outta the park.
Haha, there is a slave trade too. Haven't tried doing that yet! It might not be legal in all systems

Top Bottom